Preventing Hand, Wrist and Finger Injuries
This program provides employees with the information and safety precautions needed to help prevent hand and finger injuries. Topics include:
- Maintaining an awareness of where we place our hands
- Types of protective gloves
- Fit and inspection of gloves
- Nip points and pinch points
- Preventing entanglement injuries
- Using tools safely
- And preventing ergonomic disorders.
Our hands are exposed to countless workplace hazards that can cause severe injuries: machinery that can pinch or crush, knives and sharp tools that can cut or puncture, corrosive or irritating chemicals, extreme heat or cold and ergonomic-related hazards. Hand, wrist and finger injuries often have severe consequences such as extended time away from work and physical rehabilitation. Fortunately, most hand injuries can be prevented by following safe work practices and wearing appropriate PPE.